Sunday, September 22, 2013

A Cube Within a Cube Slice Form

This summer I explored origami and I was fascinated when I folded a cube within a cube.  I tried to replicate this idea using a slice form.  I cut some squares and tried various methods.  I came up with the following slice form.  It was a little difficult to slide together because the paper must be bent this way and that way.  This model can be folded flat.  This is a very important phenomenon because it has applications in space exploration.  For instance this could be a solar array panel which would lay flat in transport and be deployed to open in outer space.



Here is the .Studio file if you care to explore this slice form. Cut one using cardstock.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7oGIyVDbRGYcU5FTGVaQkNFN28/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-O_AicunP4cK_N2IDy6H6Hg

Here is the PDF.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7oGIyVDbRGYTU9WV0RDbTE0VEU/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-4NiQWJNKb4mnTJTq1DFMcA

#sliceform #cube

No comments:

Post a Comment